A Chef is Born


Some years ago, I noted a memory of my wife developing a mild obsession with cooking since we moved to Johannesburg in 2010.  A couple of years later; the mild obsession nurtured, and now it is in full bloom.  In July of this year, she could hold it no more and enrolled for a chef’s course.  Being the full-blown lunatic that is my mate, she could not interest herself in the odd cooking class, NO, she will be a qualified chef.  I suppose we only share a trophy, I am not often complemented on my sanity either.

I cannot say that I did not see the signs, there were many signs.  The fact that we own more cooking books than days left over to prepare each recipe presented is a dead give-away and first sign.  Then, she is as thin as a twig, or at least when I wrote this.  I am back after dressing that wound, hope the lump will not be too big, tomorrow is a work day after all; back to the story.  She is as thin as a twig, and we apparently love to watch the cooking shows, all of them, the second sign.  Then came the big one.

It is just over two years since she gathered all the family recipes form all over the globe.  The plan was to soil the pages of an otherwise perfect book with the knowledge that gained countless pounds, engulfing our gene pool over many decades.  The enthusiasm of this endeavour was swiftly replaced with a file full of notes gathering dust.  Enter the engineer.

I recently moved to a new position recently, and quite impressive neglect on the part of business set up - operational procedures did not exist, and there were minimal documented philosophies guiding my newfound team.  I got in the habit of writing stuff, and since there are only so many instructions to give in any professional position, I offered to assist her now that backlog on my end is depleted.  We are writing a cookbook.  I however have no interested in guiding the rest of humanity down the slippery slope of what others love.  Our focus is now on the meals she makes.  I am sure, the family will understand, or I do not care, whatever blows your skirt up.

The first thing of a book is to think of a concept and the second, a striking title.  The concept I touched on, the title will have to wait; there is no consensus on any of the proposals I made thus far; despite the amount of intellectual effort I have presented.

The thing about writing is, there is so much information out there.  I think we are beyond the point of writing for others, we should write for ourselves.  If another appreciate the effort, or can relate to it, great.  It might just get them to note their own ideas too and that for another to discover.

Being a super-efficient engineer, I rapidly drew up a simple format for recipes to go in to.  You have ingredients, a method and a photo; marvellous.  After the second recipe, I realized that is boring beyond comprehension.  We needed some stories to bind this endless listing of how and what into something enjoyable.  My wife gave me the freedom of the pen here and I love it.  She normally gives me some pointers, why she likes it, where it comes from, and so on.  Very important information for me to ignore – who screws up a good story with facts.  Soon, whoever will discover the wisdom I could dream up.

Being a relentless upcoming Michelin Star carrier, little miss are not going to publish anything she did not test.  Food, in my family at least, does not go to the bin.  We cook, and we eat, and if I need to see another bagel after this weekend, I’ll go jump off a cliff.  I put up a brave face with the 6th batch - this weekend things did not go to plan and bagels were the recovery route.

She got the idea that oxtail can be made as a roast in the oven from an American book.  I do not know what soft massaged cows they herd in the US, Africa is a tough country with flies all over.  A cows’ tail has two purposes, the first and most obvious it to cover the poop fountain and the second is to waive away flies.  After several year of swaying relentlessly, the cow’s tail is the toughest portion of the entire animal.  There is not a snowball’s hope in hell that you get a tender oxtail in an oven after 2 hours, not African cows.  Lesson learnt, meltdown completed and bagels made, we had a re-run on Sunday.  The oxtail, as on many previous occasions went into the pressure cooker for 3 hours; that did the trick.  She popped it into the oven for 45 minutes afterwards, just to make sure and it was delicious.

I am not one to complain about the adventure, it is Monday evening, and I am awaiting the Osso Buco to be finished up, eat like a king every day.  I have to run like hell in order to maintain a reasonable shadow; I gave up on a small one, but as stated before, I do not complain.

Spices - tools does not make you a chef, spices do.  That is my observation.  She was never scared of adding a bit of taste to meals, but nowadays, there is no fear.  They all come out and fortunately, there are things that should be presented together, otherwise we would just have all of them on lamb, beef, ice cream, and carrots too.  She loves the selection and preparation of the spices most, I think.  It appears that she keeps an accurate inventory of the bottles and jars, and have to ensure something goes empty.  Tomorrow she is off to the spice shops, replace what needs too, and find some new tastes to add to her repertoire.

The meals that make the book are very well tested, and they work.  An experiment like this is interesting if you venture close to home.  I suppose one would think that living in Africa where meats are plentiful; we would like the more sophisticated cuts.  However, that is not the tastiest meats you could have.  Over the years, we honed in on the tougher bits that require a bit more effort, like shin, neck, tail, and so on; the effort is always worth it.  Do not get me wrong, I love the odd steak every third day, but I do not live for that.  I suppose, it is clearer now why spices also gets more important, you just have more options with these than with the other cuts.

Here at the southern tip of Africa, we also have good wine.  They go well, very well, with the stews, braises and curries we have.  To be honest, they go pretty well without them too as many a casualty from an evening spent at our home could testify.

As is written in the Good Book, let’s eat, drink and be happy, tomorrow is another day.  Let me risk some truth here at the end, having a chef in training share your bed, is not the worst fate you could be dealt.  It is actually a splendid concept.  The tastes are getting better and more sophisticated as time goes on; simple dinner is more an experience now.

The price I have to pay!

Monday, 12 November 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment